Wherever we end up in life, there is always something we might want to complain about. If we’re at work, we might find things like uncomfortable uniforms or lazy coworkers annoying. If we go home for break, it may be overbearing parents or missing our friends back at school. Here at Southern… well, I’m sure we all have our own lists of complaints and things we would like to change about our experience. That being said, it is easy to focus on the negatives instead of paying attention to what is actually great about where we are.
I asked students at Southern what things on campus are underrated. Here’s what they said.
- PASTA DAY. Fried Ravioli.
Lily Hamstra, Graphic Design & Public Relations, Sophomore
Wednesdays at the cafeteria, in case you didn’t know.
- The art department. I love the creativity and inspiration on campus. All the artwork in the halls. And the space they give us to work on our art and become a community and always encouraging one another.
Diana Alarcon, Fine Arts, Sophomore
Go take a walk around the second floor of Brock Hall. If you didn’t know already, a lot of the visual arts students’ work is hung up all around the walls. It’s super cool to see all of the projects that some of your friends have been working on! Not to mention the actual art gallery itself, which has several different installations throughout the school year.
- Having the greenway so close! It’s so relaxing to walk and pretty (pre-construction that is lol). Also, frozen fruit cups at the Kayak. I feel like no one knows that you can ask for this and it’s so yummy.
Taylor Dean, Public Relations, Junior
- Avocados at the VM being on meal plan.
Lexi Dornburg, Nursing, Sophomore
THIS IS A HIDDEN GEM.
- Roundtable! It’s one of the best networking opportunities on campus for students in the visual arts and communication departments. There’s so much opportunity to learn, ask questions and form authentic relationships.
Nicole Sabot, Film, Junior
Sadly, we didn’t have it this school year due to COVID-19. However, if you ever have the opportunity to go to Roundtable events whenever they happen again, I highly recommend going. Roundtable kept me from dropping out of school, to be honest.
- The professors! Some of them care so much and are amazing!
Audrey Umali, Business Administration, Sophomore
I will absolutely stand behind this one. The teachers I had so far all have had genuine interest in my success and well being. It’s super refreshing and encouraging.
- Hiking opportunities nearby. Besides the bio trails, there are tons of beautiful waterfalls and fun hikes all within an hour’s drive of campus.
Patrick Mcgraw, English, Junior
- Free counseling!!!
Christina Coston, Communication Studies and International Studies, Senior
THIS ONE TOO. My counselor at Southern has been life-changing for me. Truly.
- Having Saturdays as an actual break.
Me, Elise Deschamps, Public Relations, Junior
Having an entire campus not expecting you to do homework or study for an entire 24 hours? Completely underrated. Looking forward to a day of genuine rest motivates me to grind during the week. Being at a school where the majority of people are on the same page in regards to the importance of that true rest is vital.